In a city where the sky seems to change its mind every few minutes, answering this question is not easy. But, as we know that it is one of the great doubts that arise when preparing a trip to Scotland, we will try.
Take note: today we are talking about the weather in Edinburgh, the average temperatures according to BBC weather Edinburgh and what kind of clothes to wear for each season.
Due to its proximity to the water, the climate in Edinburgh is temperate oceanic. That is to say:
- There are no very abrupt changes in temperature throughout the year and the seasons. This surprises many travelers as they imagine very cold winters and warmer summers, but in reality, temperatures are never extreme.
- Winters are cold but much less than those of other cities at the same latitude, with temperatures that almost never drop below 0ºC.
- And the snow? Most years it snows a little bit sometime, but there is no heavy snowfall and the white coating soon wears off. The flakes usually fall between the end of January and the beginning of March.
- Summers are cool, with temperatures rarely exceeding 20-25 ° C. There is always some extraordinary day that is a little warmer, who hardly believe it, call it ‘Scottish summer’. But, as it has arrived, it disappears.
- Rain and wind are very frequent throughout the year. They are the two phenomena that we believe best characterize the city.
- The coldest months are January and February, and the hottest, July and August.
Four seasons in one day according to BBC weather Edinburgh:
According to BBC weather Edinburgh, there is one aspect of Edinburgh weather that none of them can capture: how quickly it changes.
Have you heard that saying that, in Scotland, it is possible to find the 4 seasons of the year on the same day? according to BBC weather Edinburgh, this city illustrates it perfectly.
A sunny day can give way to a hail storm and, in a matter of minutes, make room for the sun again.
That is why it is important, as we will tell you below, that you wear clothes that allow flexibility. Also, check the forecast before and during your trip, as you will see that it does not stop changing!
How Do I Dress To Visit Edinburgh?
In the article on what to pack to travel to Scotland according to BBC weather Edinburgh, you have a complete list of all the necessary pieces of clothing.
But, in short, the best advice we could give you is to dress like an onion: that is, in layers.
Layers, layers, and more layers
As we told you, according to BBC weather Edinburgh the weather changes in a flash throughout the day. Therefore, the most advisable thing, in any season, is to dress in different layers that allow you to adapt to each moment.
Bring several t-shirts or sweaters that you can put on top of each other or take off depending on the moment and the situation, and also accessories with which you can do the same (for example, handkerchief or scarf, depending on the season).
Rain and wind according to BBC weather Edinburgh:
In addition, at any time of the year, we recommend that you wear some type of waterproof and waterproof footwear.
According to BBC weather Edinburgh, there is frequent rain across over the year.
The truth is that there are usually no big storms: gray days are frequent, with drizzle and fog which do not paralyze daily activities.
But, precisely for that reason, you are likely to continue walking in the rain, so nothing better than a waterproof jacket to continue exploring the city.
The same thing happens with shoes: there is nothing more uncomfortable than walking with wet feet, so, if you can, buy waterproof shoes.
And the umbrella? Although it is fine to carry one in your luggage, the Scots rarely open it: the wind tends to blow strong, and trying to keep it up is quite an adventure!
If we told you about the umbrella that we lost in combat in Edinburgh …
We have it clear: against the weather in Edinburgh according to BBC weather Edinburgh, a good coat and good shoes, and enjoy! Luckily, there is always a good cafeteria or museum where you can take refuge.
List Of Clothes To Visit Edinburgh
Clothes to visit Edinburgh according to BBC weather Edinburgh in every season
Are you visiting Edinburgh in winter? Remember to bring:
- A nice hooded coat. If it is waterproof, much better.
- Long-sleeved shirts as a base and jumpers or sweaters to wear on top
- Pants a bit thick. Jean’s work, you don’t need to buy special pants, but make sure they are not too thin or the wind and cold will creep in right away.
- The hat that covers the ears
- Waterproof footwear
- A spare pair of socks (in case your feet get wet)
Keep in mind that, in winter, even if it is cold and you should take a good coat, throughout the day you will spend time in restaurants, museums and places covered with high heat where you will want to take off some clothes.
In the same way, keep in mind that if in addition to Edinburgh you are going to travel through Scotland, it is possible that in some areas you will find lower temperatures and you need something warmer.
Clothes to visit Edinburgh in summer – spring
Are you traveling to Edinburgh in the summer? According to BBC weather Edinburgh always remember to bring:
- Coat or thin jacket. Again, if it is waterproof, all the better.
- Short-sleeved t-shirts and long-sleeved jumpers or sweaters to wear on top.
- Neckerchief. Even if you don’t use it every day, it is sure that at some point when it is windy it will be useful.
What Time Does The Sunset In Edinburgh?
In winter, daylight hours in Edinburgh are few: the sun rises between 8 and 9 and placed between 16:00 and 17:00.
During the cold months, it is best to take advantage of the morning to do any outdoor activity. Here are some tips for visiting Edinburgh in winter.
On the other hand, in spring and summer, the days get longer: the sun rises between 5 and 7 (and in June and July, even around 4:45) and sets between 8:00 and 7:00 p.m. 22:00.